10 Day Discovery Program | 16 - 18 yrs | NZ $2000
This program is designed to explore the most beautiful landscapes across the top of the South Island of Aotearoa, New Zealand. Students will explore national parks, take part in adventurous activities, access remote beaches, discover wilderness areas off the beaten track and encounter local wildlife.
Nau mai, Haere Mai - Welcome to Aotearoa - New Zealand. Experience and learn about Aotearoa while on a discovery program designed with our ODENZ partner schools. You will be supported by the experienced and friendly team from ExpedNZ to make the most of the learning and adventurous opportunities that await.
Each program is unique. We design our programs to be flexible to adapt to the weather and learning opportunities as they arise. The information below will give you an idea of what to expect, but is not a set itinerary. This will be finalized closer to the time of the program.
Golden Bay Exploration | 3 - 4 Days
Golden Bay is famous for fantastic beaches, rugged terrain and crystal clear rivers.
- Discover the spectacular and remote Cape Farewell and Wharariki beach, a journey through farmland and forest to access the very wild West Coast.
- Take in the beauty of Te Waikoropupu Springs (the clearest water in the world) and
learn about its cultural significance.
Abel Tasman Exploration | 3 - 4 Days
The Abel Tasman National Park is one of New Zealand’s most iconic attractions. Golden beaches, clear waters, abundant bird and sea life, and lush native forest create the perfect setting to explore New Zealand’s stunning coast.
- Experience the beauty of the park & learn about the park’s unique conservation initiatives.
- Hike & camp along the coastal pathways, swim in the clear turquoise waters, relax on the beach and marvel at the stars under clear night skies.
Kaikoura & Hanmer Springs | 3 - 4 Days
Travelling to the East Coast students get to experience completely different landscapes.
- Travel through the Marlborough region and take in the dramatic mountains of Kaikoura where the Southern Alps meet the sea.
- Encounter marine wildlife with time allocated for an optional extra ocean experience of students choice, such as whale watching.
- Journey inland to Hanmer Springs, indulging in natural hot pools while soaking up the views of the surrounding mountains before driving back through a majestic mountain pass back to Nelson.
The cost of your program includes all planned learning activities, field trips, accommodation, food (which you cook for yourself), specialist outdoor equipment and transport within the program.
Transport to Nelson is not included in the progam cost, flights or other transport is to be arranged separately by the student with suitable support from your NZ school and / or guardian. We can provide transport from Nelson airport if required (additional $50 transfer fee).
Other Holiday Programs
ODENZ & EXPEDNZ in partnership
ExpedNZ programs offer world-class outdoor experiential educational experiences.
Access to specifically designed programs
International students from ODENZ schools have access to three different , 10-day ExpedNZ programs during their stay in New Zealand. ExpedNZ offers an immersive orientation program on students' arrival to New Zealand, and further exploration and adventure focused options during school breaks.
Empowering Personal Growth
Our programs are empowering for young people. We provide students with an opportunity to improve their physical and mental wellbeing within an adventure-based setting. Programs are designed to promote personal growth through challenge and to inspire students confidence to take on the challenges of tomorrow.
Discover new ways of thinking
At ExpedNZ we firmly believe in nurturing our natural environments and celebrating our cultural diversity. In all 3 of the 10-day programs we connect students with New Zealand's diverse wilderness areas and look to the past, to the knowledge of tangata whenua (NZ indigenous culture) to help guide and inform future decisions. Students will discover new ways of thinking, be challenged physically and be inspired to strive for a better, more connected and healthier future.